A concert featuring Rockit performing Woodstock & The Age Of Aquarius on Friday, August 22 will benefit the Count Basie Theatre’s Outreach Programs. It will be the inaugural Vanguard Awards which recognizes individuals for their outstanding contribution to arts education in Monmouth County.
The Theatre will be honoring four individuals and their organizations for their commitments to the arts in our community:
• Maureen and Steven Van Zandt for their outstanding work with Teach Rock and the Rock and Roll Forever Foundation
• Monmouth County Freeholder Lillian Burry
• Mary Eileen Fouratt, Executive Director of the Monmouth County Arts Council
The awards will be presented on the Basie Stage during at the Rockit concert event.
The benefit concert will raise funds for three of Count Basie Theatre’s Outreach Programs:
• Rockit! at the Basie Scholarships: Each year the Count Basie Theatre pays for several talented children who would not normally be able to afford to participate in the program.
• Bus-In Program: CBT busses over 4,500 students from Title 1 and Abbot School Districts to see cultural programming on the Basie Stage. In 2014-15, three shows have been scheduled which includes pre and post in school teaching programs.
• Teach Rock: In 2014-15, the Count Basie Theatre will expand its Professional Development program to integrate the Teach Rock curriculum in Monmouth County Middle and High Schools. Teach Rock integrates the history of Rock and Roll and examines major social and cultural movements in American and world history.
Tickets to the Rockit concert event, Woodstock; The Age of Aquarius on Friday, August 22 at 7pm are available at the Count Basie website.